Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Community Service

Today's Prompt: "What is your most powerful/memorable community service project? What do you think people can learn or gety by doing community service/volunteering?"

One of the most interesting things I've ever done as a volunteer was canvass in Milwaukee for a workers' rights campaign. I think it was interesting to be back in my hometown/state beacuse I moved to Chicago when I turned 18 right about the time when voting and making political decisions were something I could finally participate in. I never really got to participate in making political change in my own city because I was living in a different state, and so it was nice to canvass in Milwaukee, meet people that I might not have otherwise ever met, and promote a cause that I felt was really important.

I think volunteering is something everyone should do when they get the chance because it can give them important life skills especially if it is in a particular profession or area of interest. I know youth who, before studying medicine in college, volunteered as a medical assistant at a hospital. Even if that youth did not do all the things a doctor does, s/he still learned what the climate of a hospital is like, how to interact with doctors, different kinds of hospital vocabularly, and how to deal with patients.  Plus, when all is said and done, your volunteer experience looks great on a resume. Experience, along with who you know, are two of the most crucial (I think) pieces a person needs to get a job -- so if you get the chance to volunteer, take it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment