Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Main blog! Topic: Peer Pressure


Topic: Peer Pressure
I chose this topic because I felt it is a lot of peer pressure going on in the teen generation. To many people think they have to do what others do to fit in but it’s really not the right thing to do, because certain things could get you in trouble you can’t get out of. A lot of teens have low self-esteem and really don’t get enough attention. No this issue doesn't directly affect me i just see it affecting others. My original opinion about peer pressure is to many teens get there self-involved in unnesscaray things.
Secretary of State Jim Edgar “on Sunday unveiled a statewide program in which high school students will canvass elementary schools to try to teach 5th and 6th graders how to resist peer pressure to drink alcohol. The program, called Promoting Effective Education in Resistance Skills, or PEERS, is aimed at youngsters who are easily persuaded to drink alcohol by their peers, Edgar told 90 teens attending the training conference at McDonald's Hamburger University, Oak Brook”. PEERS "is a direct assault against the peer pressure that traps many young people into drinking alcohol against their better judgment," he said.
Peer pressure can definitely encourage your daughter to do things she wouldn’t do otherwise—both negative and positive. It does matter who her friends are and what their values, activities, and ambitions are. Most people tend to act like the people they spend a lot of time with. If you’re concerned about what her friends are interested in, it’s important to talk with your daughter about that in a calm, open, nonaccusatory way.
“I’m worried that Liz is hanging out with a group that’s kind of ‘fast’ about drinking and sex. I don’t think she really wants to do these things, but these kids are in the neighborhood and have been her friends since fifth grade. I’m not sure she can resist the peer pressure to do some things she wouldn’t do otherwise. Should I just tell her she can’t go out with them anymore?”-Bernie  No it really didn’t change my mind on my thoughts about peer pressure because it seem to be the same thing that I thought about.
The people I talked to about my topic were teens that I hang around every day. Their opinions really didn’t surprise me because they kind of said some of the main things I talked about in my 1st paragraph. Yes their thoughts matched the article opinions because they not only talked about the wrong s of peer pressure but the rights, like the goods peer pressure could bring.
I think of the issue is not really a big deal anymore because it’s not something you have to do it’s what you choose to do; you have your own mind and is old enough to know right from wrong when you’re a Teen. Yes I would love to know more about peer pressure because I really don’t understand why people still do it????  

 


1 comment:

  1. I Really Agree Because The People That Does Drugs And Alcohol Alwasy Tend To Pressure The Ones That Does Not Do It At A Point I Think That There Is A Time That Most Of People Will Try Things New For Once In A While But I Dont Think Per Pressure Is A Way To Get Started.

    ReplyDelete