Tuesday, June 26, 2012

I Write for the Fathers

  At birth you held her so close and said you'd never let her go.
It was you who made every bottle and changed every diaper.
You were the one who got up in the middle of to night when she cried.
   To be the father of a daughter, oh how proud you must feel. 
I write for you.
I write for the father who takes care of his child but never gets any credit. 
I write for you.
He who dreams of every recital he will go to and every game he will see.
I write for you. 
   When everyone said "oh how he's gone take care of a baby, he cant even take care of himself....But u doing it anyways.
I'm sooo PROUD of you. 
   We the people always talk about the dead beats and the ones who do nothing. BUT here you are, living proof that some dads do do something. Its you who will teach her how to walk, how to read, and how to pray. Its you who will teach her how to ride her bike. 
     When daddy daughter dance day come its You who will be proud to say I am a 24/7 father. When she cries over the 1st boy who breaks her heart Its you who will say Imma kick his Butt. 
      When she graduates college you will be there cheering her on. When career day comes and that special person asks to marry her, You will be there to give her off. Years later she becomes pregnant and you will do the same thing you did for your daughter to your grandchildren . 
Your a Proud Father and I write for YOU but not as much as I applaud you.   

4 comments:

  1. I really dig how it comes full circle at the end. powerful stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the rythmn in your writing and I love that you have an audience and motivation for your writing because many people don't have that so you should find pride in your found motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jackie, you always find the soft spot in my heart -- the place that reminds me that I'm human. Keep writing, Jackie, keep writing!

    -- C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this poem. It was beautiful

    ReplyDelete