Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Teachers Being ALLOWED TO CARRY GUNS ??

       I am a student currently attending school and I am really concerned about the board of education possibly passing the law that allows teachers to carry fire arms. I chose this topic because I feel like  this is something that should be considered or talked about. This issue really affects me because if the law is passed then I would be put in a position where my life could be put in danger. My opinion on the situation is that I am totally against the Idea. I completely disagree with the possibility of teachers being able to carry guns. Just thinking of the idea makes me feel unsafe
       One article I found was on the CBS News website. The article addressed the fact that the law was being passed in Texas But not in other states. This article did not change my opinion on the situation because even though I'm not put in the position I still feel for the other students who are put in this situation.
       I talked to several People about their intake or opinion on the topic. I talked to Ms. Sheila Wright a teacher at Uplift Community High School and she completely disagreed with the idea of teachers being able to carry weapons. She felt that a lot of students would be put in danger and it will increase the number of murders in schools. I also Talked to Ms Cassandra Buchholz to get her intake on the Idea. She too disagreed with the topic. She thought not only it would put students in danger it would put other teachers in danger as well. She also thought not only that it could put people like herself who are not teachers but are in and out of schools who are helping out this law puts them in danger too because they are not teachers and they aren't allowed to carry guns and can't really defend themselves.
      Looking back on all the research I've done on this particular topic I realize there are a couple of more things I would like to know. I wonder what did the parents who have children in school have to say about this idea. I wonder if the board is still trying to put this law in affect. I still feel the same about the issue and i think I would always feel the same about the issue because I hate to tolerate violence and put in the position where violence is something that I have to be worried about. I would really love to be more involved with the the board of education and how everything operates at the Board. I really enjoyed researching this topic even though I'm against the idea i still enjoyed being involved with it learning new things about the world.

1 comment:

  1. Queen,

    I am glad that you feel compelled to research this a little bit more and react to this as a student -- students often have very little, direct voice on matters like this, and I think you are brainstorming really great ways of responding and hopefully keeping this law from taking any kind of effect in schools.

    Also, just to be clear about my position, I don't mean that because teachers and community members coming into schools don't carry guns that that means we can't directly defend ourselves. What I meant was that when people do carry guns, it puts them at a advantage in a play for power. I do not wish to carry a gun, ever. That is my choice, I realize, but it also would put me at a direct disadvantage for anyone who would not be part of that privileged few who can carry weapons. The power would not be equal, community members would not be seen as partners, and students would not empowered, and overall, those with guns (aka power) could dictate and control relationships and the overall atmosphere of the school -- especially where there is fear involved.

    I think about how police can incite a certain degree of fear when they enter a space because they have authority (much like teachers would be if they were allowed, by law, to carry weapons), to take control of a situation and can use force when they consider it necessary.

    Overall, I think you did a good job of bringing voices into the conversation. I think another voice worth listening to would be someone who has an educated reason as to why they believe teachers should be allowed to carry guns in school. You don't have to agree, but it would boost your argument and give you even more reasons to debate such a law being passed. Finally, if you have a chance, can you please post a link to the article where you saw this, or maybe a website where we can see the progress of this?

    Good start, Queen. I hope to read more from you in the future, and please do keep us up to date on the process, and any other cool topics you encounter should you have the opportunity to speak to the board.

    Best!

    -- C.

    ReplyDelete