Wednesday, July 25, 2012

REFUGEES COMING TO AMERICA

           My parents are from Myanmar, which is known as Burma.  My dad participated in a strike in 1988. That is the reason that my dad moved to Thailand. I was born in Thailand and attended Thai school. After that, we moved to a refugee camp called "Nupo" in 2006. Our lives were difficult there. They gave us  some benefits-like food and straw- while living there. How can you live in a place where you have to wait for monthly rations? How can your life  improve?  We finally moved to the United States in 2012. Like me, there are a lot of refugees that come to America each year to start new and better lives.


          "A refugee is a person who is in search of a better lifestyle. Most refugees come to The United States because religious, political, and family reasons". (blurtit.com) "No one chooose to be a refugee" according to Thang Delemma's story (unhcr.org).  "Thang is a refugee in Thailand he and his mother fled his village because he feared being forced to join an army that was kill his own people." (unhcr.org)


             I think a lot of refugees feel sad because they left their countries.  I felt sad because I left Thailand, but I also felt happy  because I got to go to a new  popular country and start a new life. I miss my friends, culture, and food. I really want to go back to Thailand. I think that refugees miss their countries like I do.


             Communication is hard when you move to a new country. I have learned some English, but my pronunciation is different than lots of Americans so people don't understand what I say sometimes. I think not knowing a lot of vocabulary makes communicating difficult.


               Refugees come to America and other countries to start a new life. It can be difficult for them to leave their homes and go to other countries that they have never been to.



Stories from a Thai Refugee Camp from Digital Democracy on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment